We understand that many Americans are stuck in their ways and do not wish to go vegan, but we also want to make sure that we are doing our small part by providing the necessary and critical information for people to look at where their food comes from. We want to present the factual studies and highlight what is causing the destructive numbers we see today.
Animal agriculture is the most destructive industry facing the planet today.
It is the leading cause of deforestation, water consumption and pollution, is responsible for more greenhouse gases than the transportation industry, and is a primary driver of rainforest destruction, species extinction, habitat loss, topsoil erosion, ocean “dead zones,” and virtually every other environmental ill.
- Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all the transport in the world (including planes, trains, cars, vans and ships.)
- Livestock and their byproducts account for at least 32,000 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) per year, or 51% of all worldwide greenhouse gas emissions.
- Emissions for agriculture projected to increase 80% by 2050.
- Cows produce 150 billion gallons of methane per day.
- Even without fossil fuels, we will exceed our 565 gigatonnes CO2e limit by 2030, all from raising animals.
- Animal agriculture water consumption ranges from 34-76 trillion gallons annually.
- Agriculture is responsible for 80-90% of US water consumption.
- Growing feed crops for livestock consumes 56% of water in the US.
- 2,500 gallons of water are needed to produce 1 pound of beef.
- 477 gallons of water are required to produce 1lb. of eggs; almost 900 gallons of water are needed for 1lb. of cheese.
- 1,000 gallons of water are required to produce 1 gallon of milk.
- 5% of water consumed in the US is by private homes. 55% of water consumed in the US is for animal agriculture.
- Animal Agriculture is responsible for 20%-33% of all fresh water consumption in the world today.
- Livestock or livestock feed occupies 1/3 of the earth’s ice-free land.
- Livestock covers 45% of the earth’s total land.
- Animal agriculture is the leading cause of species extinction, ocean dead zones, water pollution, and habitat destruction.
- 2-5 acres of land are used per cow.
- Nearly half of the contiguous US is devoted to animal agriculture.
- 1/3 of the planet is desertified, with livestock as the leading driver.
- Every minute, 7 million pounds of excrement are produced by animals raised for food in the US.
- A farm with 2,500 dairy cows produces the same amount of waste as a city of 411,000 people.
- 130 times more animal waste than human waste is produced in the US – 1.4 billion tons from the meat industry annually. 5 tons of animal waste is produced per person in the US.
- In the U.S. livestock produce 116,000 lbs of waste per second:
- Total manure produced in one day is 9.519105 billion lbs.
- Total manure produced in one year is 3.475 trillion lbs.
- Animal agriculture is responsible for up to 91% of Amazon destruction.
- 1-2 acres of rainforest are cleared every second.
- The leading causes of rainforest destruction are livestock and feedcrops.
- 136 million rainforest acres cleared for animal agriculture.